Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The American Embassy (but not really)

Here we are, back in Sydney! The cruise was a great success. I’m back-posting some blogs that were written on the ship, but not posted because the cost is crazy to access the internet. We’ve set up camp in what a tour guide jokingly referred to as the American Embassy. i.e. McDonald’s (but here, they call it “Mackers”).

We’ve just gotten off the ship, and now we’re lying low for a bit until we’re able to check into our AriBnB, drop off our stuff, and seize the day. Who knows what the day will hold!!

In other news, being married is my favorite thing I’ve ever done. Ken is great. Everyone should have a spouse as wonderful as him. . . and I’m not at all saying that under the influence of these rose colored honeymoon glasses.

Change of plans regarding Mackers. Apparently, the American Embassy is letting us down. Wi-fi is down.  That doesn’t work very well when our whole goal of the morning is to kill time by posting the blogs. I’m holding down the fort with all our stuff (oh my gosh, we have a lot of stuff), and Ken is out searching for wi-fi. There was a Starbucks about a block away, so he’s scoping it out.

I was going to download pictures in the meantime, but he has the camera. So instead, I’ll write a bit more about our trip!

A bit about the ship. Ken and I were on the Dawn Princess and had an inside cabin. It seemed small when we first arrived.

Ken is back! He found a great location. My knight in shining armor. J J

Okay, now we’re at a new restaurant where we have a half hour of free wi-fi. That should (hopefully) be plenty of time to post up these blogs.

More about the ship. The cabin seemed small when we first arrived, but by the time we left, it felt like a cozy little nest, just the right size. It was fun living in such close quarters. It really threw us right into living together, no room for personal space bubbles at all.

The ship had lots of activities, but Ken and I did very few of them. The one thing we really did get into, though, were the art events. We went to a bunch of art auctions and a few seminars about art. We’re coming back much more knowledgeable about art. We know our favorite style is impressionism and intense impressionism. Daniel Walls and Slava Ilyayava (spelled wrong) were our favorite artists on the ship, and we understand a few different mediums of art. I’d consider it a success.

Us with our auction card


Now that I have Ken and the camera, I’m going to transition to downloading some pictures. But first. . .

Ken’s Thoughts: I’m sad it’s over. It really was a wonderful part of the honeymoon. I felt really pampered. I felt like I really got the time to get to know you (Lila) a lot better, like we both really wanted to. It’s also awesome staying in the same room and waking up together. I’m shocked at how much we both enjoyed going to the art auctions and learning more about art. It really was one of the highlights of the cruise. I feel like I can appreciate it so much better now. And see myself enjoying it more over the years to come. I was thinking about Champagene Bay. . . of all the places, that was hands down my favorite that we went to. I’m really confilicted about if I’d ever want to go back. We had such an amazing time there, I’m not sure if re-visiting it would be just as special, or if it would taint the wonderful time we had.


I was hoping to be able to put up pictures, but I we only get a half hour of free (weak) wi-fi here, so I don't think I'll be able to make it. Hopefully soon, I'll be able to find some good wi-fi and put them up! I have them picked out and everything.

P.S. Happy Birthday, Mom & Olivia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (it's Feb. 10th here)


---LATER---
I'm now at our BEAUTIFUL AirBnB that Ken booked for us. It's in the suburbs of Sydney, and we can see the whole Sydney skyline. He's out foraging for food, and I've been left to update the blog and figure out public transportation.

Tomorrow, we fulfill a childhood fantasy of mine, planted by Mary Kate and Ashley back in 2000. I'll give you a hint:



Here are other pictures and stories that I want to share:

When we were on an island (...Lifou?) we went horse back riding! It was great fun, but I had a horse that didn't like a different horse. Which would have been find, if the girl riding the other horse had been a competent rider. She wasn't, though, which made some moments a little stressful. But it was still a lot of fun, riding a horse through the rain forest. Totally a new experience!

Us at the top of the hill

We went on one tour on a different island that turned out to be a bit of a dud, UNTIL we turned it around. At one point, they brought us down this big staircase that brought you from a cliff to the ocean, and at the bottom of this staircase, there were kids jumping about 15 feet into the ocean. Ken and I had recently (on our horse back riding trip) learned about "princess rules". Which, essentially, means they limit the liability. On the horseback riding, it meant that we couldn't trot or canter. We assumed that on this excursion, it meant you couldn't jump off cliffs. SO, before anyone could have the chance to tell us no, we stripped down to our bathing suits, carefully climbed up to where the kids were, and jumped into the water. Definitely the highlight of the day. 

Us after jumping in the water (you can see the cliff over Ken's shoulder)

There were two fancy nights. The first fancy night, we dressed to the nines (is that the expression) and we forgot to use our camera (despite bringing it). Woops! Here are a few pics from the second fancy night:



And here is our ship as we left it: 


On to the next chapter! Including the food I'll make from the ingredients Ken just brought home, some delicious looking beer, and Pandemic Legacy (which we crushing, btw). 

No comments:

Post a Comment