Sunday, August 30, 2009

Boston!

Boston was a lot of fun! Kate picked me up from the airport, and, after changing, we went out to a lake. We walked half way around the lake and then went in.

That morning I had been in the heart of New York City, and now I was floating in a beautiful lake looking up at the clouds. Amazing. The water was the perfect temperature that made is cool enough to be refreshing but warm enough to never feel like you were cold or chilly. After swimming (or in my case, floating) for quite some time, Kate and I walked the remainder of the perimeter of the lake.

Then we went to a beautiful ice cream place where I had watermelon kiwi sorbet. The “small” was probably about the size of two fists. Needless to say, I couldn’t finish it – despite the deliciousness.

The next day Michael drove me into Harvard Square, where I started my explorations for the day. I wandered the campus and felt grateful for going to Berkeley. Harvard was nice, but it wasn’t a fit for me. It was too . . . nice. Pretty. Quaint. Berkeley is a much better fit for me. Then I took the train to downtown Boston where I walked the majority of the Freedom Walk and explored for the rest of the day. I think one of my favorite places was the Christian Science area. Not because of what it stands for (Christian Science isn’t really my thing), but because it was so beautiful! There was a big “reflection pool” and a beautiful building that looked kind of castle-ish. But my favorite part was a large fountain that squirts up water; it was full of kids running in and out, getting completely soaked . . . Of course I had to join them. It didn’t matter that I was probably older than most of them by 10 years and the rest of them by at least 5 years. It was totally worth it. That night I met up with Kate to help her move a rug then we went to a cookout at one of her staff’s house.

Next day consisted of continued exploration. I met some nice people, but mostly I just wandered aimlessly around the city. It really is a great city. Saw Fenway Park and (more importantly) the Boston Legal building, along with other landmarks and places of interest. Then I came home, packed my bags, and headed off for my next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment