Friday, November 27, 2009

The Holiday Season Begins!

Part of the holiday season just passed. And by “holiday season” I mean Thanksgiving and my birthday. I wrote about my actual birthday in the Japan blog. I wanted to give you guys a quick update on my second birthday and on my Thanksgiving.

The day we left Japan, a group of girlfriends and I all had dinner together. Then the crew sang to me as the brought out a HUGE fruit bowl my friends had ordered me in replacement of a cake since I prefer fruit over sweets. Then the crew sang to me AGAIN as they brought out a huge chocolate cake that my mom ordered for me so that we could have something to celebrate my birthday over. Then a couple minutes later the crew sang a special birthday song as they brought out a special gift from the crew to me for my birthday – banana bread cut like a cake with a non-sugary frosting and a candle. I’ve never seen them do that before, so I was really touched.

So here I was with a huge chocolate cake, a huge bowl of fruit, and a special little banana bread cake from the crew. So I went around the dining room inviting people to come eat cake – and they did! It was a really fun post-birthday night!

Thanksgiving was fun, too. I had dinner with my ship family. At the beginning of the voyage we had to opportunity to be assigned to “ship families.” My family consists of the librarian and the computer guy (they’re married and the about the same age as my parents), then there’s me, Zach, Kim, Vikki, Ansel, and Liz. It’s a pretty fun family. (They don’t hold a candle to my family back home, but I make do). We have family dinner together every once in awhile and family game night occasionally. Anyways, I had my Thanksgiving Dinner with them. Thanksgiving was surprisingly good, too. Not the same as being at home, but they did a pretty good job.

Then after dinner our family challenged another family (my Public Speaking teacher’s family) to a rematch of the Hat Game, which is a game I absolutely love.

So it was a pretty good Thanksgiving. Besides the whole having class thing. And having homework due the next day. But I don’t really think I’m in the position to complain about anything. I’m on a ship bound for Hawaii, for crying out loud. Life is good.

Oh! Plus now that Thanksgiving is over, people can’t reprimand me for listening to Christmas music. It’s legal now!! Hurray!

Love you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment