Monday, May 14, 2018

Gold at the End of the Rainbow

Lila, why are you posting twice in one day? (I'm assuming that's what you're asking.)

Because I know me! And I know that despite what I've thought or even promised, I'm not going to post anything else to this blog after we touch down in SF. Or really after we take off from Iceland. Because, let's be real, it's not like I can post in the plane. I'm not paying for internet. What do you think I am, made of money?

I think we got off track. In the past I've thought that once I get home, I'll do a round up post, or go back and add pictures, or do a summary of highlights, or something. And that has literally never happened. Check out the right hand side where it has all the categories - I've blogged a lot from a lot of different places. And never once have a done a post-trip post. (Outside of posting whatever video I make months later). So, I'm just being real. This is probably the last post.

. . . unless I post again from Iceland.

Because right now, we're still in the Ireland airport (we got here really early, remember? We've had plenty of time). We've now had breakfast and coffee and are waiting at our gate. We'll begin boarding in probably about a half hour. . . maybe. Apparently the pilot is excited to leave, so maybe we'll leave early. Can you do that? 

Anyways, picking up where I left off: the middle of nowhere.

It was around 4:30 that we decided, "Ya, okay. I'm about ready to get dinner and find a B&B in this area."

The problem was that there was literally nothing. Just spots of houses, and "towns" that had a bar and Chinese food, but not anything that looks like we wanted to stop for. 

We were choosing our path by loosely aiming toward Tayto Park (more on that later), and aiming increasingly at larger towns in hopes of finding a B&B or food. "Larger" town is obviously a relative term. But we figured - larger the town, more chance of food and a B&B!

Along the way, we stopped in a town called Fore. We had diverted in this direction because there was someone on the map called "Seven Wonders", and we were curious. I have no idea what it was referring to, but what we ended up finding was a old, broken down castle!


Just in case you're curious, there were signs and stuff - so it was meant to be visited. We weren't just trespassing on someone's castle. . . Not that I'm sure that would have stopped us. . . We climbed around in it for a long time. What a great way to stretch your legs. We found two gates that were probably supposed to be locked like all the others, but by some stroke of luck weren't, so we climbed super sketchy stairs to get to the top of the highest tower. It was awesome! 



On our way back, Ken the animal whisperer pet a bull. It was something he had been hoping to do nearly the whole trip, but up until this moment, most of the cows/bulls hadn't been close enough. So this was a happy moment. :-)


There was one dead-end B&B sign in Fore, so we continued on.

Around the time that we were getting restless and ready to be settled somewhere (maybe around 7:30 - we started looking for a B&B around 4:30, remember?), a BEAUTIFUL rainbow appeared! I have literally NEVER seen a rainbow this perfect. It kinda felt like God was saying, "I got you!" . . .  and also, "Hey, look! A distraction!" Disclaimer: none of these pictures will do the rainbow justice.


Shortly after the rainbow appeared, we found an awesome B&B . . . and there was no room.

But there was a B&B! The first one in literally 3-4 hours! If there's one, there must be more! (I know that's usually said about cockroaches, but we were hopeful it applied to B&Bs as well). 

We went through the town of Kells - nothing. But the rainbow was still going strong! Like a friendly reminder that God's got a plan, and also a welcome distraction from our now-grumbling stomachs. :-)



We found two more B&Bs, neither of which had room. 

I forget if it was after or between those two (I think after), but we went on their weird side road and were surprised to find a field full of rapeseed. Rapeseed has brilliantly yellow flowers. Like, blindingly yellow flowers. And the rainbow landed in the middle of the field: the gold at the end of the rainbow!!!


Very shortly after we found our gold at the end of the rainbow, we found a B&B that had room for us. It was a little house on a big sheep farm. Just perfect for our last night "out" in Ireland. 

After settling our stuff into the B&B, we drove into the town of Navan. It was a little deader than we expected. All we wanted was a pub: somewhere where we could get a beer and food. And not spend and arm and a leg doing it. All we found for a long time were divey bars (no food) or fancy restaurants (too much $$). 

Eventually, we resigned ourselves to going back to a burger place that we had seen as we walked into town. It didn't have drinks, but whatever. We'd survive. So we walked into the burger place - and it was connected to a bar through a secret inside door! We could bring our burgers into the bar! Perfect! 

The burgers ended up being a little bit life changing. Not really - but they were delicious. The bar had good drinks and enjoyable live music. To top the night off, we shared a shot of the Middleton Very Rare Whiskey. 

It's so funny looking back on that day. So much went wrong (no ferry, couldn't find a B&B, no food, etc.), but it ended up being such a great day! 
  • Road sheep!
  • Ken pet a cow!
  • We explored a castle!
  • Life changing burgers!
  • Middleton Very Rare!
  • Fun surprise-pup!
  • B&B on sheep farm!
Truly, it ended up being a great day. Despite the bit of hunger and hangriness. :-)


Okay, now to talk about yesterday. Our last day in Ireland.

We woke up and headed to Tayto Park. My cousin Kim had recommended, and her husband Amon had discouraged it, which honestly made us want to go all the more. It sounded corny and hilarious and just up our alley.

What we expected was a potato themed amusement park. What we got a was a amusement park founded by a potato chip company - so pretty close! Definitely had some potato themes!

It ended up being a pretty cool little park! Fun rides, a zoo (whaat??), a petting zoo, and some other cool stuff. We got there right when it opened and rode the roller coaster three times in a row. It's the biggest wooden roller coaster in Europe, and easily the best wooden roller coaster I've ever rode! (But Big Dipper, you'll always be my favorite). 



From there, we moseyed on down south of Dublin toward my cousins' house. We stopped at Powerscourt to go to their shop and pick up a cheesecake. It was insanely crowded, and we realized (yet again!) how lucky we've been with our trip. The exact same place was nearly empty when we were there only a few days earlier. 

So we picked up our cheesecake and arrived at Brian & Jeanne's. 

Aaaaaaaand, we're boarding! 

. . .  Aaaaaaand, we're in Iceland!

. . . Aaaaaand, we're being called to board for SF. Wow, that was fast. 

Never mind. At the gate we were told that Ken was selected for a random TSA security check - which means I was selected for additional blog time. :-)

Brian & Jeanne's felt like home. We didn't tell them we were coming back, but they said that they suspected that they would. It was a perfect ending to a perfect trip to spend the afternoon and evening with them. Brian spoiled us with drinks of all sorts, we went out to dinner at their local pup, Andrew (Jeanne's brother) came over and I got to meet him, Amon (Kim's husband) came over, and everyone hung out and talked late into the night. I don't know if it's because they are family or if it's just because of the kind of people they are (I'm guessing the later), but it felt totally like family. I can't say enough good things about the whole lot of them (partially because I know they're reading this!). I wish I could say more about our time with them, but I think what was so absolutely delightful about it was how unremarkable it was - meaning truly, nothing eventful to remark on. Just comfortable and delightful. 

But truly, spending the day and night there was the best possible way to end our trip.

And now we're in Iceland. And the country is holding up to its name, it's quite icy outside. 

In 9ish hours, we'll be home. (Mom & Dad - we'll come pick up Gimli tomorrow!)

What a fantastic trip this has been!!

If anybody talks to me tomorrow, please remind me to pay our Dublin tolls. 

Until next time!! :-)


Bonus Feature: Photos Uploaded While Waiting For Kenny to Get Back from TSA Screening So He Can Give Me His Thoughts (. . . I'm starting to worry. . .but if you see thoughts from Ken below, that means it all worked out!)









Kenny's Thoughts: 
Overall, I'd say that inland Ireland paled in comparison to the amazing coastline that we had spent so much time on. I loved the random ruins that we stumbled across and the fields of green with livestock, but there wasn't quite the same luster driving through as there was at nearly every other place we had spent time. That being said, I enjoyed trekking across the country and seeing all the diversity in the cities and the people. I enjoyed getting a chance to explore a fairly large castle, as well as pet the cows outside of it. What wasn't a disappointment in any way was Tayto Park. I was half expecting a cheesy but really fun experience, but it turned out to actually be a really enjoyable amusement park with the best wooden roller coaster I've ever been on. I felt like a kid running in the doors to the park when it opened to the roller coaster - then jumping back in line three times in a row. Afterwords, I loved wrapping the trip up really well by spending more time with Jeanne and Brian and their family. They really are loving people and incredibly hospitable. I'm really excited to be visiting Ireland sometime in the (hopefully) not too distant future. Overall, Ireland was phenominal and exceeded my expectations in so many ways. I really did love it here. I think that's all my thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment