Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Blades

Hey! Guess what I did today! You'll never guess. Okay, I'll tell you. I went ROLLERBLADING! (which I learned just now is one word).

You: You mean like in a padded room wearing lots of protective gear?
Me: No! Outside! In the open!
You: What?! No. Lila, don't you know that's for coordinated people?
Me: I know! I was just as surprised as you are!

So, ya. Today I went rollerblading. Outside. It was great fun. I learned very quickly, though, that I had absolutely no idea how to brake on roller blades (what? now spell check is telling me it's two words. . . whatever). So that was a little problematic. The only times I have roller bladed before were quite a long time ago and I was just going in circles at the Santa Cruz Roller Rink. I stopped by running into a wall, which proves difficult when you're outside with no walls.

So I had to learn to stop. Which I did! Kinda. Mostly. Good enough. But not super good. At first I realized that to slow down, I was putting my toes together like you do in skiing. Hint: that doesn't work. Duh.

But eventually, I got it! At least well enough to feel mostly safe and like I wasn't going to accidentally roll myself into the lake or run over a small child. So that was great fun. I roller bladed down by the lake and around the town a bit. There was one hill that I was like, "screw that" because at the end of the slope, it had nothing for me to run into but the lake.Or fall and die/break something. So I took off my skates and walked. Dad would have been proud (avoid the big disaster!), Stuart, not so much. Whatever. I went up it later, so that still counts.

So, ya. Today was super fun. I roller bladed for quite awhile. I only came back because a) I was hungry and food is expensive here, and b) I was getting sunburned, which I usually don't mind too much, but not with awkward tank top and back pack burn lines.

Plus I think this may be my last blog entry for awhile. I've been super lucky to have wi-fi in residence for the past couple days, but I don't know when the next time I'll have that is.

So...

I want to say a major THANK YOU to my excellent hosts Lili and Ludo. I know that Lili said she'd stop reading this, but I'm hoping that she secretly still does so that she'll see this. Lili and Ludo have been really, really awesome hosts. They're just awesome in general. Their that top tier of normal people. You know, first tier holds the Mother Teresas, Nelson Mandellas, MLK Jrs, Gandhis of the world, then the second tier has the best people that maybe haven't saved a whole country. The Kelly Kurtenbachs, Kim & Blake Carpenters, Jazmin Aguileras of the world. Lili & Ludo are in that tier.

Last night we went to fondu! It was super delicious. On the way there, we made Ludo stop the car so we could take pictures with the field of sunflowers we passed by. . . We actually made him turn around and then stop the car. He's a very gracious host. Then we went to fondu! But first at the fondu place, we went on a little walk up the the top of the canyon, and Lili took a "I'm king of the world!" picture for me. It looks like I'm powerful and mysterious. I like it. Then delicious, cheesy, thick, yummy fondu! On the way home, he stopped the car to touch a cow. 

Then we came home and watched Zombieland and ate apple pie. The apple pie didn't turn out too bad. I think I'll made it again for the rest of my hosts. Bring them a little bit of America. Maybe by the time I come back, I'll be an expert apple pie maker, like my dad. 

In other news, I think I want to get a pet rabbit. They're awesome. Depending on where I live next year, this is a serious possibility. . . I may start with a fish, though. Just to make sure I can handle it.


Here's me looking powerful & mysterious:


No comments:

Post a Comment